Disabled Toilet Facilities Needed Urgently

For years now, the big men in expensive suits are always arguing about the disability act and nothing has been done, others only think of how to make their offices, Mall, banks etc. stairs easy for disabled people. Frankly that's not the only problem they face. As to whether they have chosen to ignore or they don't know, I can't best tell If guilt could kill, the world would have ended long ago, I personally feel guilty after see a picture of a disabled young boy visit the toilet with no crouches. My friend Kola Nut posted the picture with this caption '' So I'm on my way to #AYWO Reading n Writing Clinic and I pass by this scene at a local public toilet. The guy has parked his wheel chair and gone in to use the facility. This really set me thinking and wondering how disability friendly are our public places especially local toilets like these? #Shit4Thought #TamaleChronicles ''
First I took a look the the toilet facility, everything of the toilet was totally dirty and decayed. And this young boy of 13 to 18 years has to crow on the floor of this decayed toilet facility to get to the nearest pit to attend to natures call. With all these struggle both physically and emotionally, the spread of disease and personal hygiene is lost, most of these public toilet don't have water, let alone clean water for people to wash their hands after visiting the toilet. My dear readers, put yourselves in his situation. The picture got me thinking and even reminded me of previous ones I have witnessed but pay no heed to their suffering. So I took time and went to the nearest toilet facility close to my area and monitored the people visiting the toilet. There I got to realise how guilty this country is. Our toilets are not friendly to the disabled, they struggled daily to attend to natures call. I spoke to the toilet keeper, he told me most of the time the disabled are not able to free themselves directly into the pit hole, so they sometimes ease themselves on the floor. People sometimes insult or even curse if they see the shit of others on the floor and sometimes they even blame we toilet keepers for not doing their job. He added, most of them hold on to the walls of the toilet while attending to natures call. And when you look closely at the walls of the toilets they are stained with all sorts of dirty you can think of. I spoke to some few disabled I know, and they told me their stories, but for security reasons and privacy I cannot mention names. Disabled Man (A) Both my legs are paralysed, the house I live in has no toilet, I sit on my wheelchair and go to the toilet, I don't have crouches so I usually put my slippers on my hands and place them on the floor of the toilet before I can ease myself freely. Disabled Young Girl (B) I lost my leg in a car accident 3years ago, I use crouches, going to toilet is quite difficult, sometimes you get up and rest for sometime because am depending on one leg and I get tired. Woman (C) I have knee problems so using the pit is very difficult, my house has a toilet but since it's a pit one, I usually attend natures call holding on to the walls of the toilet. Thank God I spend most of time cleaning my toilet and I hope I will be able to afford the sitting type of toilet someday. This can happen to anyone of us at anytime, so why don't we call on Government and other institutions and agencies to help build disabled toilet facilities, so make disabled people attend to natures call freely and comfortable. Remember you can be a victim at anytime any day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Professor Hans-Heinrich Reckeweg on PORK Biological Therapy

11 Ghanaian Tamale Base Musicians Who Deserve Attention

International Ghanaian Model Victoria Michaels