Why was Salma Disappointed at Golden Movie Awards Organisers

I didn't want to blog about this and people might or will say because my documentary on access to clean water was nominated that is why I'm supporting the organisers of the Golden Movie Awards. But thing I have learnt as a young boy growing up from rural areas in the northern regions is that, Truth is the Truth, truth has it has no side. My grandma Sanatu Zambang told me, truth has no side, truth is truth.
After the release of the nominees of the 2016 Golden Movie Awards, my close friend and editor back in the film school was asking me the next morning why Salma Mumin was among the most promising actress category, because she has been in the industry for a while now. According to my friend, he believes the category for most promising actor or actress should be a new face in the big screens.
I told him, " being nominated under the category of most promising doesn't necessarily mean you should be a new face in the big screens, I told him. An actor or actress performance in a particular role than their usual roles in films can earn him or her a most promising actor or actress award. So I gave my friend an example, everyone in the world knows Jim Carrey is genius when it comes to comedy and everyone will agree that Jim Curry is a comic actor, but Jim Carrey role in the 1998 American film Truman Show, directed by Peter Weir, which was satirical comedy drama, saw Jim Carrey as a dramatic actor, rather than being typecast in comedic roles. The Truman Show film was highly praised and brought Carrey further international acclaim, leading many to believe he would be nominated for an Oscar. A Film4 critic stated that the film "allows Carrey to edge away from broad comedy", If the academy had a category for most promising actor , Jim Carrey could have won that category, but he did win best actor motion picture drama at the 56 Golden Globe Awards, best male performance 1999 MTV Movie Awards.
I also reminded my friend, that John Dumelo and Lydia Forson were nominated at the Africa Movie Academy Award for Most Promising Actor and Actress for his performance in film Heart of Men and her performance in the film Scored respectively. That wasn't their first time on the big screens.
Later I saw Salma Mumin Instagram post about the Golden Movie Awards nominations and I was surprised she SAMLA MUMIN disappointed, maybe her view on the most promising category is the same as my friend, but unfortunately that is not the case. Thank God that the board of the Golden Movie Awards came out to define the Award for Golden Most Promising actor or actress. They stated, Award for Golden Most Promising is given to a new/ existing actor who distinguished him or herself in a breakthrough role on the continent and has potential if given bigger roles in film.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Professor Hans-Heinrich Reckeweg on PORK Biological Therapy

11 Ghanaian Tamale Base Musicians Who Deserve Attention

International Ghanaian Model Victoria Michaels