Accra Film School Graduation Speech by Rafiu Fishbone (Mohammed)

AFS Graduation Speech by Abdul Raafi Mohammed Mr chairman, Dignitaries, Guest Speaker, Faculty, Parents, Graduating Batch of Accra Film School 2015. We all have spent 6 months plus responding to the nurturing from Accra film school, Accra film school teaches you to define yourself by your own terms and not by somebody's else definition. What other people label or might try to call failure, I have learned is just God way of pointing you to a new direction. We sat in different classes, different batches, we have been tested, we have done our reports, we have done our exams and we have done our projects and we deserve to be here today congratulations.
There is a reason why you are here, and that reason is greater than any degree, it's greater than any paycheque, it's is greater than anything, anybody can tell you that you are supposed to do. Your real job is to find out what the reason is and get about the business of doing it. Your calling isn't something that somebody can tell you about, it's what you feel, and nobody can tell you what that is, you know it inside yourself. " And know the Lord will lead to you a rock that is higher than thou " . That is my favourite bible verses. I use to think being famous is all that matters, I was concerned about going out in the world and doing something bigger than myself, until someone smarter than myself made me realise that there is nothing bigger than myself. They told me I was too ugly, locally funny, I was told my head is too big, my English was very poor, from the very beginning of my days in Accra film school, majority of my mates and seniors laughed at me, they told me my name was too local and difficult to pronounce, they advised me to change my name. But I said to my self, I am going to keep my name, if people remember it or not, it's my name.
My friends back in the north told me my dream of becoming Komla Dumor or Majid Michel was just a mere dream. They told me my chances of meeting a Ghanaian Celebrity was impossible, in fact that it was a mission impossible. My family said to be a TV Presenter was for the Rich and Famous. And they were right, nobody knew me, and I didn't even have a bank account nor mobile money account. But God could have a bigger plan for you, than you could ever dream for yourself. The Quran Says " Allah is the Guardian of those who believe, he brings them out from the darkness into the light " ( 2:257 )
December 2014, Viasat 1 nominated me for the maiden Jigwei Awards alongside other famous Ghanaian celebrities, On 25 of December I was on the same stage with Majid Michel, Kofi Adjololor, James Gardina, DKB, Mr Ben Brako, Mrs Paulina Oduro, Fosteromanus and many many more. We acted the famous birth of Jesus Christ Live on Viasat that Christmas Morning. Honours our calling, don't worry about how successful you will be, focus on how significant you can be in service and the success will take care of it self. You are defined by what you stand for. Your integrity is not for sale.
My dear friends there are people out there, who want to be like you, who want to attend a film school, but their parents or guardians feel Television or Film is not Important, they feel it's not a professional career, which is why we have to work harder out there, to give them a reason to see and believe that indeed Film and Television is and can be the backbone of our country economy. So I beseech you to go forth and serve, serve first yourself, your family and Friends. Honour your creator and when you walk the path of the privilege, don't forget the less privilege, don't forget to emancipate the public from the negative perception of film and television.
A very big thank you to the executive director Mr Rex Anthony Annan for creating Accra Film School, this institution has given us a reason to hope, hope is a good thing, that's what the film history class thought me. At Accra film school, we love what we do. I acknowledge all the wonderful parents and guardians for the fantastic job you have done, your tireless dedication, love and support. To the media houses, we are ready to work alongside with you, we are ready to work hand in hand with you, we are ready to do beautiful things in the world of film and television. Graduating batch of Accra film school when we walk through these doors today, we will have two choices love or fear, choose love for we have been given the spirit of love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Professor Hans-Heinrich Reckeweg on PORK Biological Therapy

11 Ghanaian Tamale Base Musicians Who Deserve Attention

International Ghanaian Model Victoria Michaels