Time Travel Using Music… And Perfumes

Music does a number of things for me including providing me pleasure from the art of it, humour from sick lines (like Em spews), a distraction from my invasive thoughts, a moment to meditate (as with gospel and classical music) and finally, the opportunity to travel back in time.











My brothers used to criticise me for having too many old songs on my playlists until they came to realise I don’t do trending songs, just songs I like. They finally gave up and let the ancient lady be. Plus, I can switch between totally opposite genres so quick. You probably do not want me ever DJ’ing for you. And oh, I love my music really really loud (unless it’s meditative music). Yup, I’m that annoying roommate. I’m also that weird chick on the bus with music blasting out of her headphones.

Music… What a song can do… I play UB40’s ‘Here I am and Kingston Town‘ and I travel back to the year 1994-95. A happy 6 year old whose mother was the most beautiful yet stern woman she knew, and whose father would give the world for her. I see my melancholic older brother whom I would fight to the death for. I also see my bubbly 2-year-old brother who I find rather annoying; ’cause he took my position as last child and the attention that came with it; but can’t help admitting he’s the coolest baby ever.

I play Jasmine Sullivan’s ‘Bust Your Windows‘ and I’m 20 years old again. A happy-heartbroken (yeah, an oxymoron) young woman who’s dating the ‘class-clown’ as a rebound to get over ‘the love of my life’ (I finally got confused who the love of my life actually was).

Kid Kudi’s ‘Pursuit of Happiness‘ or Eminem’s ‘Nail in the Coffin‘ and I’m a 23-year old woman spitting lines with her dope brothers, when I’m supposed to be getting supper ready.

Or Clean Bandit’s ‘Rockabye‘ and I’m back to Summer of 2017; struggling with my thesis and turning to music for solace. So many other examples!

But music… its ebbs and flows… Revisiting the good, the bad and the ugly. Transporting me from space to space. Cold spaces, hot ones, rainy spaces, crowded locations, warm, cosy spaces. And from body to body; a 6-year-old’s, from a 68kg body to a 48kg one. From a face filled with pimples to one with beginning traces of crease-lines; the face of wisdom, I call it. Music: carrying me through the 4 decades, (3 centuries?) and 2 millennia I have been fortunate to witness. All without expensive scientific equipment, or broomsticks and long pointy hats. The body remains fixed yet the mind travels; to places I want to go back to and never leave, as well as ones that I never ever want to revisit but end up doing anyway.

Continue Reading :  https://missbaada.wordpress.com/


Other Related Stories 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Professor Hans-Heinrich Reckeweg on PORK Biological Therapy

11 Ghanaian Tamale Base Musicians Who Deserve Attention

International Ghanaian Model Victoria Michaels