Hakim Genius '' A POET from SAVANNAH ''

Meet Zakaria Abdul-Hakim known in the writing world as  Hakim Genius or Hakim the Poet. Born in Tamale 29th January, 1996. Began his education at English and Arabic school, Al-Markazia E/A school. Zakaria Abdul-Hakim  was made an assistant school perfect in class six. He continued to the Junior High School in 2009. 

Life wasn't easy, things were tough, without enough teaching and learning materials our teachers tried all they could to let us understand well. ''  The school made us contribute money each which was used to buy the school's first desktop computer and now the school has two desktop computers.Zakaria Abdul-Hakim said ''  During his stay in the school  Zakaria Abdul-Hakim was always flourishing in all subjects. Zakaria Abdul-Hakim  loved social studies due to the history aspect of it.

 '' I was always called Nkrumah as I read lot about him and other Pan Africanists and with the shape of my head too. I always said I wanted to be a historian. But a sudden transition occurred when I developed interest in agriculture. I was offered agricultural science to read at Kalpohin Senior High School in October 2012.'' 
But the childhood love for literature was still there. I had finished reading the literature books we were supposed to do in our three year stay in the school in only two days before I even had an admission into the school. I was often found reading novels, though I was again good in the agricultural science class. I knew how to combine my studies with reading novels. Zakaria Abdul-Hakim explained 

During the three year stay in the school,  Zakaria Abdul-Hakim had the opportunity to serve as the assistant Mu-azzin of the school mosque by the Ghana Muslim Students' Association(GMSA). I was also made to often give Islamic preachings and motivational speeches on Fridays at the school's assembly grounds.

''  I was again chosen as the Imam of the school branch of the Agric Science Students Association(KASSA). One other leadership title conferred me was the students electing me as a house prefect. I was among the prefects who worked to bring discipline and respect among students of which I attained in one way. During my stay in school I also had the opportunity of being chosen for a Workshop training to undergo the NO YAWA project by Youth Harvest Foundation Ghana(YHFG) in collaboration with Marie Stopes International Ghana. I was among the people chosen as the Adolescent Reproductive Health Education Peer Educators. In school I was one of the active debaters who brought victory to my house at the termly inter-houses debate competition. I also took part in the NO YAWA debate competition at Tamale Girls Senior High School. This among many was what I went through in school. '' After a successful sitting for the West African Senior Schools Certificate Examination(WASSCE),
 After Zakaria Abdul-Hakim  completed senior high school in may, 2015. Abdul-Hakim  worked with my former teacher who was an agent and organizing the Center for Performance Monitoring and Evaluation(CEPme) exams to basic schools. Zakaria Abdul-Hakim was also studying Islamic Arabic studies from his father and rendering services to him as he's aged.

'' In this whole period of boredom, I was glued to social media that I could not stay away from. I viewed the atmosphere of Facebook and decided to change it in my way. I started with posting words of wisdom, motivation, morality and inspiration on my wall and soon enough I had few followers. It was at this stage that my three year senior in kalpohin Senior High school approached me about how I post things. Meanwhile he was already into the ink fraternity. We talked more and as I meditated and contemplated, I realized I've got the zeal to write. My first interest was always in novels only until his approach made me love poetry. Even in school I didn't have time to study poetry, but was answering the questions.
This friend and senior of mine introduced me to a southern based pan African Poet. After introduction and talking of passion, he never tutored me on what poetry is and the devices. He just asked me to write a poem at that instant which he gave me a theme. I simply wrote it and messaged it to him. Then I didn't see him comment. I wrote another one which he read and said it must not go unposted. I posted it and my wall met so many applauds and compliments. That was how poetry started. So I started adding poets as friends and soon I met people like Benjy Andoh Sergius, Kwaku Sonny, Lato Denilson Osaigbokan, Alhassan Rabiu and many more. Today my friends list is more of poets and poetesses. They support me always and I do too.'' Zakaria Abdul-Hakim added

'' I've always humbled myself and respected them. Because I am not even up to a year in the field. But I've more than eighty(80) poems in my name though not published. My poems always merge as one of the best weekly poems by the Tesshas Facebook poetry group. I was also chosen by Sir Silvano Bortolazzi. An Italian Poet and the president and founder of the world Union of poets as the vice president of Ghana gallery of the world Union of poets. To now, my wall is filled with poetry as almost all my friends are writers. I also have a Facebook page and manages some pages on Facebook. I am also an administrator to many Facebook and what's app groups.
I am one of the board members of POETS FROM OUR SAVANNAH (PFOS) which was founded by my friend and senior Fuseini M Kamaldeen. This was an initiative we thought Would help make people from the Savanna zone fall in love with writing as it is not appreciated here. so we organize lectures and calling on people even from Nigeria for online weekly interviews. I am currently writing my first short, but concrete book on Self Realization. I am also a motivational speaker and a performance poet. I am a youth activist and a volunteer. I am associated with HOPin Academy and creative Youth.
Last month I had admission into the University for Development Studies to read BSc agricultural Biotechnology and Molecular Biology at the nyankpala campus. I shall be reporting on the 27th of August to start the four year course.
Today I am known though not much but among many people on Facebook and in Tamale. I try to attend programs of change. I always preach on peace, girls rights, Talents discovery, and all kind of positive change in society. I always say that "I don't wait to be paid or asked before I set out to making positive change in society". So in one way or the other I read the online courses on these fields. I am also a member of the Yali online network and a member of Creative Youth and sharp movement. I am also a member of Alisco Media productions.
My dream is to see a world free of violence, gender bias, corruption and many more. And yes it can't be reached until we all in our way join to making it.
This is my life. A life of a villager who wants good for the nation. I do this with my voice, my ink and my strength as I don't have money. So I mostly visit schools to talk to students. I've just started and will strive to my last breathe. I have many elderly ad friends as I am a change maker and thinks good. Being passionate about making change, I always approach people i know in that field to get more connected and explore it ''

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Professor Hans-Heinrich Reckeweg on PORK Biological Therapy

11 Ghanaian Tamale Base Musicians Who Deserve Attention

International Ghanaian Model Victoria Michaels